29 April 2017

This Friday at KPS ...

Kingswood Photographic Society is absolutely delighted to welcome Tom Dodd, FRPS, FIPF, DPAGB, as their speaker on Friday 5th May who will be giving a B&W and Colour print talk entitled More than Mountains which contains a wide spectrum of subject matter including Landscape, People, Nature and Travel.

Tom says: “Much of my photography is inextricably linked with mountaineering and travel, the consequence of which is a vast portfolio containing probably thousands of images, taken in a variety of wilderness environments over the last 50 odd years. However, I do not feel confined to the landscape and enjoy photographing anything which takes my fancy.

I have been lucky to have been able to travel, climb and photograph in many parts of the world, having climbed some of the most impressive mountains in the European Alps, trekked amongst the ‘giants’ of the Himalayas, ice-climbed in Norway and made some 10 first ascents of mountains in the Arctic.  I think, however, that it is my familiarity with Snowdonia in North Wales where I still find some of the most satisfying and challenging  days in the mountains, especially perhaps in winter.

In 1997 I gained a Fellowship of the RPS with a B&W panel of mountain landscapes printed in the darkroom.  Another Fellowship was gained in 2009, this time of the Irish Photographic Federation; again with a panel of B&W prints, but entirely of the mountains of Snowdonia. The ‘Distinction’ of the PAGB was achieved in 2010 with a set of colour and B&W prints of a variety of subjects. The latter two sets were printed in the ‘lightroom’, and since around 2003 all of my photography has been by the digital process.  I have also been awarded the Fenton Medal for services to the RPS and I am a member of The London Salon.

Lecturing to camera clubs throughout the UK and Ireland and judging/selecting at salons and exhibitions has been, and still is, a big part of my photographic involvement.

I enjoy working in colour and B&W, but recognise that some images are often better viewed in colour and others in B&W, the selection of which is very much a personal one.  From the outset it is my intention to work towards making prints, very much with the aim of personal satisfaction and also submitting to exhibitions and adding to my lecture portfolio.”

For further information about Tom Dodd, pop onto the website, http://tomdoddphotography.com/ from which you’ll see why this promises to be an absolutely excellent evening.  We hope to see you there.

Kingswood PS meet Fridays from 7.30pm to around 9.30pm at St Barnabas Church Hall, Warmley, Bristol BS30 5JJ.  Visitors are most welcome and the cost for this evening is £3.00.

No comments: